Project Two – Dressing Table

Project Two – Dressing Table

For a long time now I have been looking for a dressing table and haven’t been able to find one until I saw one at the end of a driveway with a ‘for sale’ sign attached, I couldn’t believe my luck as the current owner only wanted £20 for it.

Before
Before

I couldn’t wait to give it a new lease of life and decided to strip the varnish off and paint the drawers of the dressing table to match a chest of drawers I had previously completed.

I also managed to find a stool (for £1.00!!!) at a local boot-fair. It didn’t look much at all but its nothing a fresh coat of paint can’t fix.

Chair Bought 2
The stool needed attention.

To start I used Liberon Fine Wood Stripper to remove the old varnish (this is my go-to product for removing finishes such as varnishes).

Wood Stripper applied
Wood Stripper applied

After I had stripped all of the old varnish off I went over the surfaces with my sander to make sure all traces of the previous finish were removed.

Bare wood ready for refinishing
Bare wood ready for refinishing

I chose Dulux Quick Dry Interior Satinwood Paint in Mineral Mist to match my existing chest of drawers, I love the pale blue colour of it.

First Paint On
Paint on the drawer fronts

I originally intended to only paint the drawer fronts and leave the rest of the wood visible and treat with Liberon Quick Drying Tung Oil, but I didn’t like this so I decided to paint all the wood apart from the top, the result of this was so much better as you will see later in this post.

Quick Drying Tung Oil for a natural finish.
Quick Drying Tung Oil for a natural finish.

Back to the stool; after I had given it a good clean I roughed the surface up with 150g Sand Paper to give me a key to apply the new paint.  Whilst the paint was drying I cut a piece of 2.5 inch foam and covered it with gorgeous Vintage Rose Blue Fabric from Dunelm to complement the blue paint.

Chair Progress
Stool with new cushion and fresh paint

There was a slight gap between the seat and the stool so I created some beading to fill the gap.

Stitching of Beading Beading Close Up 3

The trim was the perfect finishing touch to the stool.

Beading Close Up 2
Close up of the beading

I replaced the wooden drawer handles with ceramic crackle effect handles I found on Ebay.

ceramic crackle handle
The ceramic crackle handle look great against the blue.

I am so happy with the end result.  It’s so nice to have created somewhere to sit for a bit of “me time”. I saved so much money buying second hand furniture and refinishing it myself. All in all I spent a total of £50.00 including the fabric and paint.  Even though it took me a few days (stealing an hour or two here and there), its so satisfying knowing you have tailored it to your own taste and style. I highly recommend it.

Finished
The finished result

 

One thought on “Project Two – Dressing Table

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *