door handle

Hi all,

When I wrote the Nursery post I talked briefly about the changing table and wardrobe I had acquired second hand and gave a new lease of life to, in this post I will explain how I went about it. I worked on each item one after the other but as the treatments were very similar I will talk about them together here.

Luckily both items didn’t need any repair work as such, it was purely renovation apart from new drawer runners for the changing table and a bit of glue to keep the bases for the wardrobe drawers in place as these had warped out of shape.

Wardrobe before
Changing table before

With both pieces the preparation was the same, I first cleaned them with Sugar Soap and then rinsed this thoroughly with clean water (if you don’t do this the paint wont adhere to the surfaces).

The changing table was solid wood and varnished so I needed to key the surface with a light sandpaper (240 grit) to enable the paint to grab hold of something, whereas the wardrobe being laminate didn’t need to be keyed.

Once they were both prepared, the bases and tops masking taped off as I wanted to keep these natural; it was time to start painting.

Paint ready to go

As I said in the Nursery post I chose V33 Easy Furniture Paint in Linen to keep the room light and airy as it’s quite small.

This paint is best applied with a lacquer roller to ensure an even finish, if you use a foam one then you will get an orange peel finish and no one wants that! Obviously for any grooves etc. then you need to use a paint brush here first and then go over with the roller to ensure they are filled.

Wardrobe first coat
First coat on changing table

The paint went on to the pine surface really well and gave good coverage after the first coat, the wardrobe was a very uneven first coat on the laminate however the second coat was perfect and covered well.

Keeping details natural

When it came to painting the detailed part of the doors on the wardrobe I was in two minds as to whether I should fill them in with a brush or just leave it where I had gone over with a roller to show the colour underneath.  I got advice from J, my Mum and my Sister who all agreed to leave as it was and I’m so pleased I did, it really adds another texture to the surface with this detail being depicted.

I wanted to get new handles for both pieces of furniture so they would match and found some nice vintage cream and brass ones on Amazon.

Antique style door handles

One thing I wanted initially on the wall in the Nursery was a coat rack to hang Thomas’s clothes out for the following day, however it didn’t look right on the wall when I had J wandering around the room holding it up so we decided to add it to the side of the wardrobe as it was going to be facing into the room and was bare. I had found a plain rack in B&Q (the one linked is very similar to the one I used), unscrewed the original hooks from it, painted it to match the wardrobe and then screwed on some of the matching furniture handles.

Hangers for Thomas’s outfits

That was the finishing touch to the wardrobe and I’m so pleased with it.

Finished wardrobe

The painting was all done on the changing table too.

Painting finished on changing table

As the changing table was solid wood and I was keeping the top and base natural (the base luckily was fine as it was) I needed to strip the varnish off the top as it was quite scratched and to be honest I’m not a varnish lover, I prefer an oil finish as it does have more of a natural look and feel to me. We used Liberon Fine Wood Stripper to remove the varnish, J kindly stripped the top for me as I was pregnant. It’s really easy to use, you apply with a paint brush leave it for a max of 30 minutes as the product needs to still be wet (jelly like) and then scrape it off. When scraping make sure you are gentle so you don’t scratch the wood.

Removing the varnish

After the varnish was removed, we sanded the surface lightly with 240grit paper to make sure it was even and then used a tack cloth to remove any dust. The surface was now ready for oiling, which J kindly did for me. To oil the surface we used Finishing Oil as it gives a satin finish and is really nourishing to the wood.

Ready to oil the surface

J applied three coats of oil to the surface in 4 hour intervals, applying the oil with a lint free cloth and removing the excess after 15 minutes and before re-coating lightly opening the grain with ‘0000’ steel wool in the direction of the grain. After 24 hours all that was left to do was to put it in it’s rightful place in the nursery.

All finished

To utilise the space in the drawers I bought some storage boxes from Amazon, they fit perfectly. I’m so pleased with the final look but the best part was putting Thomas’s things away.

Baby bits sorted into their homes

Thank you for reading.

Mel xx


You may also like...

1 Comment

  1. Thank you for sharing this informative article! All the information provided by you is really very helpful for all. I would like to say that we should use tack cloth for removing small dust particles from the surface because it gives you the perfect finishing. Keep posting! Keep sharing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.